Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Worst of 2008?

Now halfway through September, I was all set to declare Mamma Mia the worst movie of 2008, but suddenly a new contender has entered the ring.

Okay, it's not really a new contender, it's just new to DVD, which is how I watch most of my movies. And my philosophy is you've got to watch a few bad movies to really appreciate the good ones. And when they come through Netflix it feels like they're free, so you don't feel like you're wasting your money.

And I knew this one would be bad, but I didn't know it would be as bad as it is. But wow, it's a doozy! The movie I'm talking about:

Speed Racer

My goodness this thing's terrible! It's hard to deny that the Wachowski brothers capture some brilliant pictures in their films and that all of their movies are visually spectacular. This one is no exception. But man, does it suck in every other way. Like M. Knight Whatever, these guys really need to start directing other people's scripts and stop trying to write their own dialogue.


And speaking of M. Knight Shamalamalamalama...lama, The Happening comes out on DVD next month, so the winner of my Worst Film of 2008 Award may not be as clear cut as I had originally thought. Of course, Mamma Mia does still stick in my head as simply embarrassing for everyone involved, so it may eke out a win. Stay tuned.

No comments: