Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Top 5 of 2007

Okay, I know it's kind of late for this, since it is July 2008. But this is my blog and I can do whatever I want. And on this blog I'm going to talk about movies and television and books and any other media that I want to talk about, and what it's going to be is basically me just providing reviews and opinions about this kind of stuff. That doesn't mean that I'm going to review every movie I watch, just the ones that I have something to say about.

Anyway, I'm kicking it off by going back to last year and giving you my top 5 movies. Why? Because that's what I want to do, and because they're all out on DVD now (three on Blu-Ray, which is so worth it), and I think you ought to rent them if you haven't seen them yet.

So here's the list (in reverse order):



5. Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

I really don't like the stage version of this musical. I find it boring, too operatic, and just plain unbearable. But I love the movie. And honestly I find it amazing that they can take a play that I just detest and transform it into a movie that I'm enamored of. Okay, take Johnny Depp or Tim Burton out of the equation and this movie would probably be a miserable failure, but with the two of them this thing borders on genius. It is incredibly gory, so be warned -- but in my opinion if it wasn't for the disturbing violence, the tone would have been much too callous and the movie may have felt like a joyous romping murder spree.


4. No Country for Old Men

It's number 4 on my list of favorites from the year, but in terms of quality, originality, and artistic merit it really probably was the best film of 2007. (Amazingly, this was the first time in history that I've agreed with the Best Picture Oscar winner.) In any case, it's an intense and captivating film. I still like
Hudsucker Proxy better, for it will always hold a special place in my heart, but No Country for Old Men is easily my 2nd favorite Coen Bros. movie.


3. I Am Legend

Like I said,
No Country for Old Men is a better movie, but for some reason I just really enjoyed this one more. It's just as intense as Old Men, but in this one there is heart (something disturbingly lacking in the Coens' film). I'll admit it, I even cried in this one; the only movie all year to bring me to tears. And Will Smith is so perfectly cast. I've seen it three times now, and it's equally powerful (and equally heart-wrenching) on every viewing.


2. Sunshine

A lot of people I know, if not all of them, are going to disagree with this pick. But I don't care; this is my blog and my opinion. I can say what I want. I love this movie. Without giving too much away I'll just say that I know many were disappointed with a twist that comes roughly two-thirds of the way through the movie, and I agreed at first. But in the end, I think the filmmakers worked it out well. And the movie has beauty and heart and one of the best first acts in recent memory. The scenery is captivating enough but the story elevates this one to number 2 for the year.


1. Lars and the Real Girl

This is a great little movie. Fantastic. And the fact that Ryan Gosling didn't get an Oscar nomination for this one just blows my mind; he's incredible here. The real art though lies in the movie's subtleness. Everything is so simple, so understated, and so quaint. Not to mention quirky and charming. It's an incredible and unexpected treat. Make sure you add this one to your Netflix queue today. You don't want to miss it.

2 comments:

JeffChugg said...

I'll take. Here's my list for 2007's best:

1. 3:10 to Yuma
2. There Will be Blood
3. 300
4. Bourne Ultimatum
5. Walk Hard

Dan and Patrice said...

So I just watched Sunshine, and I'm not gonna lie, I really liked it a lot. I didn't love it, but it had some amazing visuals and I was totally sucked in to the whole story.

I was a little disappointed by the twist, but it still worked. I just would have preferred it not to happen because I think it was on track to becoming a great movie.