Thursday, August 7, 2008

That's the way!!!

In my review of The Dark Knight, I said that I don't typically like comic book movies. I also said that I hadn't seen Iron Man yet.

Well, today I saw Iron Man and, That's the way to make a comic book movie!

You spend time at the beginning of the movie (say, the first act) introducing and developing the characters. Then instead of having a flat, two-dimensional superhero, you allow the protagonist to actually have a character arc, you let him develop and learn and grow throughout the film. Then you have a plot and theme that tie together and are relevant and current. You maintain focus by not cluttering the film with a dozen villains and eight billion henchmen. On top of that, you have a script that's actually really good. Then you cast Robert Downey, Jr. in the lead role.

That's how you make a good comic book movie.

It's a revolutionary concept, I know, the idea that you'd actually invest time and energy in character, but it pays off. This is one of the best movies of the year so far.

No comments: